5 Tips to Help You Make a Smooth Move!
These five tips should aid you in having a smooth move. And no, I’m not talking about the herbal tea! Being prepared for moving your life from one home to another will take you a long way. Here are my top five tips to help you out.
1. Research Moving Companies! Make sure they have decent reviews by others that have used them. Ask about the their insurance coverage, and make sure they are licensed and bonded. They shouldn’t have a problem providing you a copy of their license, insurance policy declaration page with your contract agreement if you choose to hire them. If they put up a fuss, maybe you should look into another company.
2. Be Prepared! Pre plan and know where the moving truck will park upon arrival to your new location. If you live in a building or are moving to one, don’t forget about reserving or making special arrangements for the elevator with the building management or HOA. Many times, there will be a moving protocol that all residents in the building must follow. And finally, tell your moving company ahead of time about any bulky or awkward sized furniture that you may have. This will help keep the movers on an efficient time schedule because they will have brought the appropriate materials for those items.
3. Tell the Movers What is Valuable! While you would think this is a no brainer, you’d be surprised how your opinion of what is fragile differs from what the moving crew consider fragile to be. Be proactive, and avoid unnecessary damages by communicating up front with the movers to ensure your valuable items get handled with care.
4. Label Your Boxes! Another one where you’re probably thinking to yourself, duh! But again, think back to your last move. Are you still looking for the top to that sugar bowl, or those tiny folks used for seafood? I am. I’ve learned that it’s best to take the extra time to not only label the box for the room but also all the items that are inside. In addition, having the boxes labeled on the side of the box helps the movers deliver them to the correct area of the house. Placing the label on the table of the box helps you know what’s inside be for you open it up and rummage through it.
5. Stay Out of the Way! You hired professional movers, let them do their job. You will have enough to do with packing and unpacking so no need to break your back trying to help lift and move too!